Picking a quality contractor can make the difference between a job done right and an utter nightmare. Before hiring a contractor for your home improvement project, interview at least three candidates and check both client and subcontractor references.
How to find right contractor
- Know what you want before you get estimates
- Ask friends, relatives and co-workers for references
- Interview at least three contractors
- Expect a contractor to be too busy to start right away
- Ask what work will be done by the contractor’s employees and what work will be done by subcontractors
- Choose the right contractor for the right project
- Check licenses, complaints and litigation history
- Check references. Read online reviews, but don’t consider that enough information
- See the portfolio and visit site of finished project
- Ask for contractor liability insurance
- Sign a detailed contract
- Get the proper permits
- Don’t pay more than 10 percent of the job total before the job starts
- Don’t sign a contract for your entire renovation budget
- Negotiate ground rules
- Talk to the contractor frequently
- Verify insurance coverage
- Get lien releases and receipts for products
- Don’t make the final payment until the job is 100 percent complete
Save time and money
If you’re doing a big project, you’ll need a general contractor, who may hire subcontractors for specialty work such as plumbing and electrical. Homeowners with renovation experience sometimes work as their own general contractors, hiring specific tradespeople for each job. While this may save you money, it can be time-consuming and will mean multiple contractor searches instead of just one, since you’ll have to find a specialist for each smaller job.
You can be assured that the floor is level, the electrical is in the right place, the windows are properly installed, the doors fit perfectly. Even decorative structural features such as a fireplace, a brick wall, or a column will all be installed to exacting standards.
If you are on the lookout for true general contractor who focus on maintaining quality work and customer satisfaction, you can find us here at Kozak Renovations. Whether you need a full design, finishing or remodeling of your residential or commercial property, we walk you through every process of the way. We have partnerships with the garbage disposal companies, building materials wholesalers, and other professionals from the other industries to ensure you will get the best price possible in all the home improvement needs.